Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Catnip Trials



  
     Well honestly, I didn't expect this. Frankly I'm relieved that no wagers were placed backing my assumptions.  My reviewers flat out proved me wrong- this time about the type of catnip they prefer.
     You may recall that in December I was lamenting the absence of fresh catnip.  My catnip plants had all gone to seed in my back yard and I just wasn't able to find any form of the substance that would provoke any insanity out of my cats.  Their response to the dry herb that I was able to procure was fairly lukewarm.  It was plain that the Kong Cats With an Attitude Catnip toys needed to be tested with the fresh stuff in order to make the review complete.  After all, what could be better than fresh?
     After nurturing a plant this Spring and Summer we are now back in the catnip business and I felt we could perform a fair test.  We loaded three Kong Cats With an Attitude Catnip toys with three types of catnip- home grown fresh, Scratch Lounge brand 100% Natural Premium Canadian dried catnip and Catnip Mini Yeowww! brand dried catnip (source unknown).  Mack, and then Pinkie were presented with all three toys at once so that they could each make their selections.  The videos will show the type preferred.  Both of my reviewers eventually found themselves compelled to carry off the toy (the lamb) containing the Scratch Lounge dried catnip. Mack enjoyed all three before making his selection while Pinkie homed in on her favorite right away. Sure, the little canister is pretty but is this particular dried herb really better than fresh?  I guess so.  I don't know what they're doing to their catnip in Canada but whatever it is Mack and Pinkie like it.  I was quite disappointed.  I was of course rooting for the home grown favorite.




No comments:

Post a Comment